- Data Subject means an identifiable person who can be identified directly or indirectly, in particular reference to one or more factors specific to their physical, psychological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
- Personal Information means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’);
- Programme means The Builders Academy.
- Personal Information we may collect from you when you avail yourself of the services provided on this Platform or when you apply to the Programme,
- how we use and secure such Personal Information,
- The choices you have regarding our use of your personal information,
- Access (if any) of third parties to personal data and purpose of access.
- Your rights as a data subject as protected by Nigeria Data Protection Regulations, 2019, its subsequent amendments and other regulations or law regulating the collection and processing of personal data in Nigeria.
What Information is collected from you?
- In general, you can visit the Platform without telling us who you are or revealing any Personal Information. For each visit to the Platform, our Web server automatically recognizes only the visitor’s domain name, but not the email address (where possible).
- We may track the Internet Domain Address from which people visit us and analyze this data for trends and statistics, but individual users will remain anonymous, unless you voluntarily tell us who you are.
- Once you apply to the Programme, you will be required to provide us with certain object identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. These Object Identifiable Information usually include but without limitation to:
- Your Email Address.
- First Name and Last Name.
- Phone Number
- Address, State, Country, ZIP/Postal Code and Nationality.
- Social Media Accounts.
- Blogs, Personal Websites, etc.
- The decision to provide the object identifiable information is completely your own choice but if you choose not to provide this information, you will be unable to partake in the Programme or avail yourself of any of the services on our Platform.
- The Object Identifiable Information we collect from you, as well as others, are treated as confidential and we keep them on a secure server. However, we reserve the right to disclose the information in the circumstances set out in this Policy and in accordance with the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation, 2019 or such other regulations or law relating to data protection in Nigeria and international best practices on data protection.
- We may also obtain some information through or from cookies or other similar technologies; or the device used to connect to our Platform. This information includes IP address, mobile network, browser and version, unique device identifiers and time zone settings; website visited before you visited our Platform. You may change your cookie settings on your device if you are concerned about us accessing them.
- We may also use your Object Identifiable Information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials or other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send.
How do we use your Personal Information?
- We use the information you provide us to customize your experience on the Platform or to serve you specific content or ads that are relevant or personalised to you.
- We may also use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring Website usage in order to help us develop the Platform and our Services and may provide such aggregate information to third parties. These statistics will not include information that can be used to identify any individual.
- We gather this Information to allow us to process your application, process any requests you may make; and to also administer your contractual relationship with us. We also collect this Information in order to grant you access to our Services, monitor your usage of our Platform and Services, and/or participation in online activities including reviews, to provide updates on the status of any application you may have submitted and to provide you with news about the Programme.
- From time to time we may provide your Object Identifiable information to our customer service agencies or customer service unit, for research and analysis purposes, so that we can monitor and improve the Platform, online experience and our services to you. We may contact you by post, email, telephone or through any of the social media platforms, to ask you for your feedback and comments on our services.
- The information we obtain are also useful in aiding investigations and attending to your complaints or enquiries within reasonable time.
- You may disable Cookies by changing the settings on your browser. If you disable Cookies, it will affect how our Platform works and you may not be able to access or use certain areas of our Platform or its full functionality. For example, performance cookies collect information about how you use our Platform, for instance, which pages you visit most often, which allows us to provide you with targeted and relevant choices that enhance your experience on our Platform.
Third Party Access
- We will not disclose any Personal Information to third parties unless:
- the disclosure is required or authorized by law, or
- you have consented to our disclosing of your Personal Information, or
- for other purposes (relating to the primary purpose for collecting that information, including the processing of your personal data or Personal Information by our agents or data processors) that is reasonably expected including the sale or disposal of any part of our business or rights.
- It is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of another natural person or in circumstances where the concealment is likely to endanger the life of another natural person.
- It is necessary for the prevention and detection of an unlawful act.
- It is necessary to protect against malpractice or misfeasance.
- We may also collect, and our third party providers of advertisements and content may collect certain user information such as information relating to computer location, URL and IP address and domains, your browser type, the country and telephone area code where your computer is located, the pages of our Platform that were viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms that you entered on our Platform.
- We may contract with third party companies, sub-contractors, service providers, agents or other persons to provide certain services including data management, web development, promotional services and such other ancillary services for the fulfilment of our obligation to you as our user. We call them our “Service Providers” and we shall be entitled to provide our Service Providers with the information needed for them to perform these services. We also ask our Service Providers to confirm that their privacy practices are consistent with ours.
How do you give consent?
- You agree that you do not object to us or our Service Providers, contacting you for statistical or survey purposes, to improve this Platform and its services to you. You consent to such contact whether by telephone, email or in writing.
What happens when we expand; form an alliance or sell our business?
- If all or part of our business is sold, (whether by sale of shares or assets) or integrated with another business, your details and Information may be disclosed to our adviser and any prospective purchaser or purchasers and their advisers and will be passed on to the new owners of the business. We’ll notify you (via a message to the email address associated with your account) of any such deal and outline your choices in that event.
- Following completion of any such sale or transfer, your Information shall be disclosed and transferred to such a new owner or third party.
How we protect your data.
- We cannot guarantee the security of any data sent over the internet but we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect, secure and safeguard personal data and information collected on or through our Platform , which measures are consistent with that of our service providers and are reviewed from time to time.
- All our employees are briefed on the importance of personal data, security and confidentiality of information obtained. They are also trained on practical aspects of the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation, 2019.
What are the Data Protection rights?
The right to your data privacy as a data subject is enshrined in the Nigeria Data Protection Regulations, 2019 with all the applicable exceptions as stated therein. They include:
- Right to request that the data collected by us on this Platform be made available to you in an electronic format or that it should be sent to a third party (Kindly note that we reserve the right to decline such requests where they are manifestly unfounded or excessive, in particular because of their repetitive character).
- Right to request the Controller to delete personal data without delay.
- Right to obtain from the Data processor restriction of processing.
- Right to transfer data from one data controller to another.
- Right to request that we delete your personal data without delay and we shall delete same where one of the following grounds applies:
- the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or processed;
- The data subject has withdrawn his or her consent on which the processing is based;
- There is an objection to the processing and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing;
- the personal data has been unlawfully processed; and
- the personal data has to be erased for compliance with a legal obligation in Nigeria.
What are the remedies available to you in case of a breach?
In case of a breach or complaints about the handling of your personal information, you may lodge a complaint with us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will ensure to resolve your complaints in the shortest possible time.
How long do we store your personal data/information for?
We retain the information provided to us for as long as necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected and not longer than one (1) year from the date of collection. The period of data storage is also subject to legal, regulatory, administrative and operational requirements.